Cartel Awareness & Outreach
It is good practice for agencies to engage in education and outreach programmes to raise awareness about anti-cartel laws and the harmful effects of cartels, to educate people about the operation of the law and the typical signs of cartel conduct, and to generate leads about cartel activity which may be a source for the initiation of a formal investigation.
- Cartel Case Initiation Chapter, ICN Anti-Cartel Enforcement Manual
To promote cartel awareness, the Cartel Working Group has collected examples of public messages and materials used by competition agencies in their own cartel-related outreach efforts. The purpose of this collection is to share member experiences and ideas in raising awareness of the prevention, reporting and prosecution of anti-cartel conduct.
Thanks to the interest, enthusiasm, and participation of ICN member agencies, this compilation is the world's largest collection of cartel awareness and outreach materials.
This compilation is a work in progress. If your agency would like to contribute to the project, please email us.
Discussion Series Presentations
- Brazil's Leniency Program Awareness Tools – Brazil, Ministry of Justice (SDE)
- Cartel Awareness – Competition Superintendencia of El Salvador (CS)
- Outreach Efforts on Raising Cartel Awareness – Japan Fair Trade Commission (JFTC)
- Cartel Awareness – Mauritius Competition Commission
- Compliance and deterrence of competition and merger control – Netherlands Competition Authority (NMa)
- Outreach strategies used to promote awareness and use of leniency programs – Norwegian Competition Authority
- Promoting leniency programme: Polish experiences – Polish Office of Competition and Consumer Protection
- Drivers of Compliance and Non-Compliance with Competition Law – UK Office of Fair Trading
- Cartel Outreach: Checklist for bid-rigging cartels – Swedish Competition Authority
- Cartel Outreach to Public Procurement Officials – Australian Competition & Consumer Commission
- Cartel Outreach Activities in Public Procurement – Mexican Comisión Federal de Competencia
- FAS Russia's Practice on Suppression of Bid Rigging – Russian Federal Antimonopoly Service
- JFTC's Outreach Efforts toward Competitive Public Procurement – Japan Fair Trade Commission
- Guidelines for Fighting Bid Rigging in Public Procurement: Progress Report on Implementation – Competition Division, OECD
2010 Cartel Workshop & annual conference materials on cartel awareness
- Outreach activities by the JFTC focusing on cartel awareness – Japan Fair Trade Commission
- The Recovery Act: The Antitrust Enforcement Effort – U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division
- Cartel Criminalisation as Cultural Change: A report from findings of a survey of the Australian public – Australian NGA
- Education/targeted outreach – Netherlands Competition Authority
- Outreach activities: the Brazilian Experience – Brazilian Ministry of Justice
- Breakout Session on Cartel Awareness and Outreach (includes examples from 13 jurisdictions)
Links to categories of cartel awareness materials: