The mandate of the Cartel Working Group is to address the challenges of anti-cartel enforcement, including the prevention, detection, investigation and punishment of cartel conduct, both domestically and internationally, across the entire range of ICN members with differing levels of experience and resources. At the heart of antitrust enforcement is the battle against hard core cartels directed at price fixing, bid rigging, market allocation and output restriction.
The Cartel Working Group is co-chaired by the Japan Fair Trade Commission, United States Department of Justice, and the German Bundeskartellamt.
The Cartel Working Group consists of two subgroups:
Subgroup 1: Legal Framework ('SG 1') is co-chaired by the Colombia Superintendency of Industry and Commerce and the European Commission, Directorate General of Competition. It addresses the legal and conceptual challenges of anti-cartel enforcement. The focus of the subgroup is examining policy-level issues of the institutional and investigative framework for the detection and punishment of hard core cartels.
Subgroup 2: Enforcement Techniques ('SG 2') is co-chaired by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and the Canadian Competition Bureau. It aims to improve the effectiveness of anti-cartel enforcement by identifying and sharing specific investigative techniques and advancing the education and information sharing agenda of the Cartel Working Group.
- Creation of a common leniency waiver template for international cartel investigations;
- Enforcer roundtable telephone discussions on the types of conduct that should be investigated as a cartel, and settlement instruments;
- Updates to Anti-Cartel Enforcement Manual Chapters on Drafting and Implementing an Effective Leniency Program and Digital Evidence Gathering;
- Coordinating the completion of the Anti-Cartel Enforcement Templates by additional ICN Members, update of old templates; and
- Ensure the completing of charts summarising information sharing mechanisms by Cartel Working Group members.
2014 ICN Cartel Workshop
The 2014 ICN Cartel Workshop will be held in Taipei, Taiwan in the fall of 2014. More details to follow.
2013 ICN Cartel Workshop
The 2013 ICN Cartel Workshop was held from October 15-18 in Cape Town, South Africa. Please visit the website for more information.
For more information about the Cartel Working Group, please contact:
Cartel Working Group Co-Chairs
Toshiyuki NambuDeputy Secretary General for International AffairsJapan Fair Trade CommissionTel: +81-3581-1998
Edward HandChief, Foreign Commerce SectionUnited States Department of Justice, Antitrust DivisionTel: 1-202-514-2464
Barbara SchulzeHead of Unit, International UnitBundeskartellamtTel: +49(0)228-9499-240
Subgroup 2 Co-Chairs
Matthew BoswellSenior Deputy Commissoner of CompetitionCriminal Matters BranchCompetition Bureau of CanadaTel: 1-819-997-1280
Marcus BezziExecutive General ManagerEnforcement and Compliance DivisionAustralian Competition and Consumer CommissionTel: +firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anti-Cartel Manual
- Anti-Cartel Templates
- Building Blocks Report
- Cooperation between Competition Agencies in Cartel Investigations
- Cartel Settlements Report
- 2010 Trends and Developments in Cartel Enforcement
- Onilne Compilation of Cartel Awareness Materials
2013 Cartel Workshop (Cape Town, South Africa)
2012 Cartel Workshop (Panama City, Panama)
2011 Cartel Workshop (Brussels, Belgium)
2010 Cartel Workshop (Yokohama, Japan)