The mandate of the Cartel Working Group is to address the challenges of anti-cartel enforcement, including the prevention, detection, investigation and punishment of cartel conduct cross the range of ICN members with differing levels of experience and resources. At the heart of antitrust enforcement is the battle against hard core cartels directed at price fixing, bid rigging, market allocation and output restriction.
The Cartel Working Group is co-chaired by the Japan Fair Trade Commission, United States Department of Justice, and the German Bundeskartellamt.
The Cartel Working Group consists of two subgroups:
Subgroup 1: Legal Framework ('SG1') addresses the legal and conceptual challenges of anti-cartel enforcement. The focus of the subgroup is examining policy-level issues of the institutional and investigative framework for the detection and punishment of hard core cartels.
Subgroup 2: Enforcement Techniques ('SG2') aims to improve the effectiveness of anti-cartel enforcement by identifying and sharing specific investigative techniques and advancing the education and information sharing agenda of the Cartel Working Group.
- Organizing webinar series on Investigative Powers to Fight International Cartels and Sanctioning International Cartels in the Context of Multi-Jurisdictional Investigations (Fines, Court Sentences and Other Remedies);
- Organizing the 2014 Cartel Workshop to be held in Taipei, Taiwan (see below for further information);
- Creating an Anti-Cartel Enforcement Manual Chapter on Cooperation with Procurement Agencies; and
- Updating/Completing Anti-Cartel Enforcement Templates.
2014 ICN Cartel Workshop
The 2014 ICN Cartel Workshop will be held in Taipei, Taiwan from October 1 - 3, 2014. Please visit the website for more information.
For more information about the Cartel Working Group, please contact:
Cartel Working Group Co-ChairsEdward HandChief, Foreign Commerce SectionUnited States Department of Justice, Antitrust DivisionTel: +1-202-514-2464
Barbara SchulzeHead of Unit, International UnitBundeskartellamtTel: +49(0)228-9499-240
Subgroup 1 Co-ChairsKris Dekeyser
Head of UnitAntitrust Case Support and PolicyEuropean CommissionTel: +322 295 4206
Juan Pablo Herrera Saavedra
Head of Economic Studies
Colombian Supertintendency of Industry and Commerce
Tel: 57(1) 5870000 Ext. 10010
Deputy Secretary General for International AffairsJapan Fair Trade CommissionTel: +81 3581 1998
Subgroup 2 Co-ChairsMarcus Bezzi
Executive General ManagerEnforcement and Compliance DivisionAustralian Competition and Consumer CommissionTel: +62 2 9230 3894
Paulo Burnier da SilveiraHead of International Unit
Brazil Administrative Council for Economic Defense
Tel: +55 61 3221 8585
Assistant to the Head
Federal Antimonopoly Service of the Russian FederationTel: + 79 18 553 7862
- Anti-Cartel Manual
- Anti-Cartel Templates
- Leniency Waiver Templates and Explanatory Note
- Building Blocks Report
- Cooperation between Competition Agencies in Cartel Investigations
- Cartel Settlements Report
- 2010 Trends and Developments in Cartel Enforcement
- Onilne Compilation of Cartel Awareness Materials
2013 Cartel Workshop (Cape Town, South Africa)
2012 Cartel Workshop (Panama City, Panama)
2011 Cartel Workshop (Brussels, Belgium)
2010 Cartel Workshop (Yokohama, Japan)